60+ Innovation Quotes and What They Can Teach You
“Innovation is taking two things that exist and putting them together in a new way.“
“The value of an idea lies in the using of it.“
“What is the calculus of innovation? The calculus of innovation is really quite simple: Knowledge drives innovation, innovation drives productivity, productivity drives economic growth.“
“Innovation is the unrelenting drive to break the status quo and develop anew where few have dared to go.“
“Creativity is thinking up new things. Innovation is doing new things.“
“Innovation takes birth in sync with the evolution of customer’s expectations and demands or vice versa. Either way, organizations around the world have to continually innovate themselves and keep up with the people’s wants. The failure to do so or being indifferent to your customer’s need will make your competitors win. And then suddenly, customers become indifferent to you- a high-risk gamble to play at.“
“If you look at history, innovation doesn’t come just from giving people incentives; it comes from creating environments where their ideas can connect.“
“I believe you have to be willing to be misunderstood if you’re going to innovate.“
“If I had asked the public what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse.“
Quotes That Embrace Change
“The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new.“
“When the winds of change blow, some people build walls and others build windmills.“
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.“
“To stay ahead in innovation, look at horizontal industries and the ones leading your current industry, someone is always doing something new.“
“The best way to predict the future is to create it.“
“I skate to where the puck is going, not where it has been.“
“Innovation is progress in the face of tradition.“
“You can’t allow tradition to get in the way of innovation. There’s a need to respect the past, but it’s a mistake to revere your past.“
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.“
“Most innovation involves doing the things we do every day a little bit better rather than creating something completely new and different.“
“They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.“
“Don’t be afraid to take big steps when one is indicated. You can’t cross a chasm in two small jumps.”
“The riskiest thing we can do is just maintain the status quo.“
“Be an innovator, not an imitator.“
“There’s a way to do it better. Find it.“
Quotes on Perseverance
“Innovation comes from saying NO to 1000 things.“
“Innovation survives only when people believe in their own ideas.“
“There’s always an element of chance and you must be willing to live with that element. If you insist on certainty, you will paralyze yourself.“
“If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.“
“Confusion is a word we have invented for an order that is not yet understood.“
“When looking to innovate—fail forward. Innovation can be a chaotic process, embrace it and learn from your failures.“
“If you’re not failing every now and again, it’s a sign you’re not doing anything very innovative.“
“About 95 percent of new products fail.“
“Innovation is more likely to come from a person who sits down and does the same thing every single day until they become an expert than from a person who sits down once because they feel inspired.“
“A ship is safe in harbor, but that’s not what ships are for.“
“There is no innovation and creativity without failure. Period.“
“If I have a thousand ideas and only one turns out to be good, I am satisfied.“
“Innovation- any new idea- by definition will not be accepted at first. It takes repeated attempts, endless demonstrations, monotonous rehearsals before innovation can be accepted and internalized by an organization. This requires courageous patience.“
“Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear.“
“What good is an idea if it remains an idea? Try. Experiment. Fail. Try again. Change the world.“
“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.“
Quotes on Leading Innovation
“You can have brilliant ideas, but if you can’t get them across, your ideas won’t get you anywhere.“
“Listen to anyone with an original idea, no matter how absurd it may sound at first. If you put fences around people, you get sheep. Give people the room they need.“
“Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen.“
“A dream will not become an innovation if there is no realization.“
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.“
“You can’t wait for inspiration, you have to go after it with a club.“
“The way to get good ideas is to get lots of ideas and throw the bad ones away.“
“You can’t just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they’ll want something new.“
“It’s easy to come up with new ideas; the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date.“
“You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take.“
“He who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.”
“Daring ideas are like chessmen moved forward; they may be beaten, but they may start a winning game.”
“What is now proved was once only imagined.“
“Short cuts make long delays.
“The world needs dreamers and the world needs doers. But above all what the world needs most are dreamers that do.“
“A pile of rocks ceases to be a rock pile when somebody contemplates it with the idea of a cathedral in mind.“
“The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn.“
“You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.“
“The Stone Age didn’t end because they ran out of stones.“
They did not know it was impossible so they did it.“
“If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.“
“Finding opportunity is a matter of believing it’s there.“
“The uncreative mind can spot wrong answers, but it takes a very creative mind to spot wrong questions.“
“Modern society is built upon two things: truth, which is discovered, and innovation, which is created.“
“When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.”
10 Inspiring Quotes on Innovation
30 of our favorite quotes on innovation
- Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower.
- Business has only two functions – marketing and innovation.
- The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
- Without change there is no innovation, creativity, or incentive for improvement. Those who initiate change will have a better opportunity to manage the change that is inevitable.
- Our future growth relies on competitiveness and innovation, skills and productivity… and these in turn rely on the education of our people.
- Every once in a while, a new technology, an old problem, and a big idea turn into an innovation.
- There is no innovation and creativity without failure. Period.
- Software innovation, like almost every other kind of innovation, requires the ability to collaborate and share ideas with other people, and to sit down and talk with customers and get their feedback and understand their needs.
- Without tradition, art is a flock of sheep without a shepherd. Without innovation, it is a corpse.
- For good ideas and true innovation, you need human interaction, conflict, argument, debate.
- Changes call for innovation, and innovation leads to progress.
- There are different ways to do innovation. You can plant a lot of seeds, not be committed to any particular one of them, but just see what grows. And this really isn’t how we’ve approached this. We go mission-first, then focus on the pieces we need and go deep on them and be committed to them.
- Exploration is the engine that drives innovation. Innovation drives economic growth.
- The only way you survive is you continuously transform into something else. It’s this idea of continuous transformation that makes you an innovation company.
- You can expect no influence if you are not susceptible to influence.
- If you have always done it that way, it is probably wrong.
- There is only one thing stronger than all the armies of the world: and that is an idea whose time has come.
- Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen.
- There’s no good idea that cannot be improved on.
- What is now proved was once only imagined.
- Collaboration is important not just because it’s a better way to learn. The spirit of collaboration is penetrating every institution and all of our lives. So learning to collaborate is part of equipping yourself for effectiveness, problem solving, innovation and life-long learning in an ever-changing networked economy.
- If you look at history, innovation doesn’t come just from giving people incentives; it comes from creating environments where their ideas can connect.
- Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power to that enables us to empathize with humans whose experiences we have never shared.
- Once you have an innovation culture, even those who are not scientists or engineers – poets, actors, journalists – they, as communities, embrace the meaning of what it is to be scientifically literate. They embrace the concept of an innovation culture. They vote in ways that promote it. They don’t fight science and they don’t fight technology.
- The five essential entrepreneurial skills for success: Concentration, Discrimination, Organization, Innovation and Communication.
- Ultimately, progress and innovation win.
- Most people have a very strong sense of organizational ownership, but I think what people have to own is an innovation agenda, and everything is shared in terms of the implementation.
- New ideas for innovation grow out of the minds of each new generation. Having an institution of higher learning that can help young people put those ideas into action is critical.
- A dream will not become an innovation if there is no realization.
Best innovation quotes for business
- “A pile of rocks ceases to be a rock pile when somebody contemplates it with the idea of a cathedral in mind.”
- “Ideas won’t keep. Something must be done about them.”
- “Money never starts an idea; it is the idea that starts the money.”
- “If you do not express your own original ideas, if you do not listen to your own being, you will have betrayed yourself.”
- “Creativity is thinking up new things. Innovation is doing new things.”
- “The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.”
- “Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation, in its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathize with humans whose experiences we have never shared.”
- “It’s easy to come up with new ideas; the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago but will soon be out of date.”
- “Genius, in truth, means little more than the faculty of perceiving in an unhabitual way.”
- “When all think alike, then no one is thinking.”
- “I am looking for a lot of people who have an infinite capacity to not know what can’t be done.”
- “If you go to your grave without painting your masterpiece, it will not get painted. No one else can paint it.”
- “The best way to predict the future is to create it.”
- “There is no innovation and creativity without failure. Period.”
- “If you have always done it that way, it is probably wrong.”
- “The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect, but by the play instinct arising from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the object it loves.”
- “Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
- “Swipe from the best, then adapt.”
- “The greater the contrast, the greater the potential. Great energy only comes from a correspondingly great tension of opposites.”
- “We don’t know who discovered water, but we’re certain it wasn’t a fish.”
- “Innovation—any new idea—by definition will not be accepted at first. It takes repeated attempts, endless demonstrations, monotonous rehearsals before innovation can be accepted and internalized by an organization. This requires courageous patience.”
- “The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.”
- “Never confuse motion with action.”
- “Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower.”
- “The lightning spark of thought generated in the solitary mind awakens its likeness in another mind.”
- “Innovation opportunities do not come with the tempest but with the rustling of the breeze.”
- “No idea is so outlandish that it should not be considered.”
- “Finding opportunity is a matter of believing it’s there.”
- “If I have 1,000 ideas and only one turns out to be good, I am satisfied.”
Innovation Quotes List
“Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear.”
“If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.”
“Eighty percent of success is showing up.”
“You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.”
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”
“The human species thinks in metaphors and learns through stories.”
“When we really pay attention, everything is your teacher.”
“Vulnerability is the birthplace of innovation, creativity and change.“
“I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.”
“There is nothing quite so useless as doing with great efficiency something that should not be done at all.”
“If you want something new, you have to stop doing something old.”
“Doing the right thing is more important than doing the thing right.”
“What gets measured gets improved.”
“An idea is a new combination of old elements.”
“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won’t work.”
“Creativity is intelligence having fun.”
“The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn.”
“Do not be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment.”
“Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.”
“Always be a first rate version of yourself and not a second rate version of someone else.”
“Uber, the world’s largest taxi company, owns no vehicles. Facebook, the world’s most popular media owner, creates no content. Alibaba, the most valuable retailer, has no inventory. And Airbnb, the world’s largest accommodation provider, owns no real estate. Something interesting is happening.”
“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.”
“I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been.”
“Lots of people know a good thing the moment the other fellow sees it first.”
“The great thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving.”
“If you want a quality, act as if you already had it. Try the “as if” technique.”
“Fall seven times, stand up eight.”
“People think focus means saying yes to the thing you’ve got to focus on. But that’s not what it means at all. It means saying no to the hundred other good ideas that there are. You have to pick carefully. I’m actually as proud of the things we haven’t done as the things I have done. Innovation is saying no to 1,000 things.”
“How strange that the nature of life is change, yet the nature of human beings is to resist change. And how ironic that the difficult times we fear might ruin us are the very ones that can break us open and help us blossom into who we were meant to be.”
“You can’t wait for inspiration, you have to go after it with a club.”
“Many a man fails because he never tries.”
“Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.”
“Storytelling is the most powerful way to put ideas into the world today.”
“The secret of change is to focus all your energy not on fighting the old, but on building the new.”
“Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.”
“If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.”
“You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you stop to look fear in the face.”
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
“Never let the fear of striking out get in your way.”
“If you’re offered a seat on a rocket ship, don’t ask what seat! Just get on.”
“Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.”
“Be great in act, as you have been in thought.”
“You see things and you say ‘Why?’; but I dream things that never were and I say ‘Why not?’”
“A ship is safe in harbor, but that’s not what ships are for.”
“Let him that would move the world, first move himself.”
“One is not born into the world to do everything but to do something.”
“If you hear a voice within you say ‘you cannot paint,’ then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.”
“For all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: ‘It might have been!’”
“We are drowning in information, while starving for wisdom. The world henceforth will be run by synthesizers, people able to put together the right information at the right time, think critically about it, and make important choices wisely.”
“I think I need to keep being creative not to prove anything but because it makes me happy just to do it… I think trying to be creative, keeping busy, has a lot to do with keeping you alive.”
“We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.”